Friday, July 27, 2007

depth thursday

I know I'm nervous now because I don't feel like eating. Anyone who's ever met me would agree that's strange. I just returned from picking up the race packet for my first triathlon (short, "sprint" distances) tomorrow.

I forgot to mention the funny thing about the pool the other day. I got carded. For the pool. I guess you have to be eighteen to get in without parental supervision.

Yesterday I had acupuncture, then arrived home to discover that Erik and I had two minutes to get to Lauro to meet his family (visiting from England and New Zealand) for dinner. The chaos of many wine glasses, young children, an acoustically loud space, and hearty conversations crossing at once made the time enjoyably fly by. I left early, already late, and drove Erik's car home to pick up my own. Do things get more muddled than that?

Over at Donna's, we hung out with the cats for a while before going up to Alberta to walk around the final twilit hours of Last Thursday. We walked through the darkening crowds and it felt to me like floating along in a bubble. Talking, stopping every now and then to look at particularly interesting objects, night breezes gently ruffling our hair, the noise of other people hushed to the sound of water flowing in a shallow stream. Even in our own private world, Donna's magnetic vibe must have purred out into the night, causing her to be given a bouquet of lavender and a slew of party invitations despite her declaration of having a boyfriend.

We talked in the car for a while before I had to go home, to bed. It seems as though we could talk for hours, nonstop, sounding words back and forth off each other. I realized today during some quality alonetime in the car (listening to the Verve, of course) that friends can fall into two categories: those who seem to tap into the same subconscious as oneself, so that in spending time together you intensify your collective depths; and those who are similar enough that you get along, but nearly opposite in key ways that help you explore and broaden your boundaries. Depth friends and breadth friends.

No comments: