Sunday, December 13, 2009

To list, perchance to learn

I had no idea that making a list of 31 things to do over the next... now 11 months... would be so difficult. It almost reads as a craft to-do list, although that was far from my original intention.

The thing is, I'm good at seeking out new experiences. I am not good at finishing. Finishing anything. Following instructions, recipes, steps. That's something I want to work on, to learn. Maybe that's really what my 31st year will be about.

But there are so many things I want to do, to make. For starters: everything. I have a vast fabric collection, dreaming in my sewing-room closet of what each yard showed me it wanted to be. I have a collection of links to coveted jewelry that I'd like to try my hand at recreating or at least taking the inspiration and seeing where it leads. Visiting a new country each year. Running a marathon once a year. Trails, coastline, mushrooms, trees, birds. The road untraveled: I want to travel it.

No comments: