Wednesday, January 30, 2013

January food resolution reflections

It's the end of January. This month's mantra was "simple meals." My guidelines were:
 Focus on the veg. Try new side dish recipes. When in doubt, roast it. Maybe even try steaming.

How did my first monthly food resolution go?

A half-hearted okay. I did try to go simpler with meals I cooked, separating the parts. I served rice, veg, and a saucy faux meat, rather than heaping everything together in one magnificent curry with seven different veggies, for example. But for some reason this month seems like it had more than its fair share of eating out, which feels like a failure.

Next up: "make eating its own event: Don't eat in front of a screen. Chew more." Sounds easy enough, right? Perhaps I can turn the whole (short!) month into an exercise in mindfulness, even though I often don't want to be in the present (rush hour traffic, waking up at 5am!). Strive for the balance.

No comments: