Tuesday, March 20, 2007

dirt & drink

After getting all worked up on Friday, I spent most of the weekend in a blissful state of working in the garden, in a tank top, with dirty feet and music playing.


I went for a ten mile run Saturday morning to get my long run out of the way. Of course, the moment I hopped in the shower afterwards, my delivery of five cubic yards of well composted manure arrived. Erik and I worked together for most of the day, with me cleaning up sections of the front yard and him loading and dumping wheelbarrows full of compost. His dad also helped us for most part of it, and we got the entire front yard tidied up and evenly covered.

My brother, his coworker friend Joe, and I went on the St Patrick's Day BarFly bus. Highlights include a woman wearing a hijacked marching band uniform, complete with tall white faux-fur hat; drunk girls stealing vintage purses from the wall of a bar called Grandma's; someone asking me if I was the Irish Princess Leia; running into my freshman dorm roommate; leaving behind my passed-out pool opponent in Thatcher's; discovering that a girl my brother was hitting on was flirting with me; having Erik pick us up at the final bar and take us for donuts.

The next morning Ted, Joe, and I went for breakfast at Junior's, and then I worked in the backyard for the rest of the day tidying garden beds, trying to salvage those destroyed by having a couple of trees removed, and laying more manure. Erik and his dad went for a bike ride and then split most of the wood left behind (in the middle of a garden bed) from the felled trees. Now we have a wood stack, and although it will be a long time before the wood is seasoned enough for use, we'll soon have a working fireplace too!

No comments: