Monday, March 12, 2007

weekend time

It sounds like either the setup for a joke or a trite epigram, but for all of my life I have struggled with time. I remember the mental struggle to learn to read analog clocks in kindergarten, and Sam, the one boy in our class who already could. We all looked up to him for it.


I've always lost track of time, underestimated the amount of time things take, hated wasting time, searched in vain for ways to kill long awkward hours, and pondered the extreme subjectivity of the length of passing time. Time is a problem, but also an answer, of sorts. Thinking of time as a fourth dimension helped me to be able to imagine multiple dimensions for the most difficult math class I ever took. I could never mentally comprehend above ten dimensions, however.

Lately I just don't have enough time. I'm not sure where it goes. Sometimes I can tell that I fit a lot into my hours, but sometimes it seems impossible to do more than go to work, go for a run, and make dinner-- that's a whole day.

My Saturday was swallowed up by getting our taxes done. Erik used TurboTax to fill out the forms while I went through our files and got rid of records older than 2005. We had so much extra paperwork that I had to go out and buy a new shredder, which itself overheated from use. We also went on a wild goose chase for takeout for lunch, and later to see "Pan's Labyrinth" at CineMagic down the street.

Sunday morning I walked downtown, ran the Shamrock Run, waited in the long line for the beer garden, and walked home. Then I did laundry, tidied up, called my mom, and ran errands with Julie, who was dogsitting a friend's pug. One of our stops was Portland Nursery, which should probably not be attempted with two pugs in tow. It was flat-out exhausting. I spent the afternoon working in the yard a bit, trying to salvage some plants from the mess that stump-grinding made of various garden beds. I was pretty disappointed that after the tree trimming and removal didn't damage a thing, the stump grinding destroyed at least one entire bed.

I still feel like I'm getting back to normal after being gone for two weekends in a row, since weekends are the main time I have that's truly my own. The stupidly rescheduled time change didn't help. That's why my goal for this week is to make more efficient use of evenings. It's like a New Year's resolution, without having to wait for a turn of the calendar. Little tricks like this often work for me, as I'm easily amused and pretty gullible. I'll let you know if I come up with anything really good.

1 comment:

Susan Kelley said...

I met a man whose name was Time,
And he said, I must be goin,
But just how long that was,
I have no way of knowing.
Sometimes I want to murder time,
Sometimes when my heart's aching,
But mostly I just stroll along,
The path that he is taking.
--Incredible String Band, October Song

From my paper journal, March 9th 2007:
I don't understand how this moment (any moment, but this one for now) can seem to stretch out forever and then be gone.

***
I have spent a lot of time(!!!) thinking about how time moves, and in moments it has seemed like something vertical and bottomless through which I am *falling.* I refused to wear a watch for years of my life because I didn't want to be centered around time, which I viewed from around age 15 as a quirk of our (chosen) method of perception but not rockbottom reality (whatever that is).

As for time management, I know what you mean about always underestimating how long things take. I've started just doubling how long I think everything will take when I make a (dreaded) schedule. If it makes you feel any better, I know a few people who could learn from your time management skills, Susan. ;)

Posted by Bramble Gamble On Wednesday, March 14, 2007 at 10:36 AM