Thursday, April 5, 2007

april fool

I haven't found much of interest to write about lately. It's not for lack of being busy, although I never understand how I find myself in the midst of so much social activity. I've also seen so many interesting things recently, just out and about in nature.

But the blog post I wrote about seeing a freshly road-killed coyote, and the one I wrote about Kenard shoving his purring snout into my ear while I was eating breakfast... well, I wrote them and then I deleted them. They just weren't interesting to read.

Then again, I did post about shoveling manure and cleaning the catboxes on Sunday.

Last night I went for a run, listening to music on my ipod and using songs for interval lengths to do some speed work. "Speed" is perhaps a misnomer in my case, and there was quite a discrepancy in my enthusiasm between my break interval with a 7 Seconds song (2:05) versus a fast interval with Boards of Canada (6:35). I skipped any song over five minutes, except for a Verve song during a slow interval that was barely over five minutes long. My speed intervals got faster and felt better as I warmed up, alleviating my deep fear of speed workouts a bit.

I made a fancy beans and rice dish for dinner, then Erik went to the Aladdin Theater to see Mew while I stayed home so I could pick up my brother at the airport. With my extra bit of time I made rhubarb-strawberry sauce and ginger syrup, and I fixed a tiny flaw in the sleeve of the tshirt I'm making over.

It was great to see Ted at the airport. It felt like a summer night, a road trip in the car together. He ate the rice and beans I brought for him, while we talked in the dark, illuminated white lines flashing by. After I dropped him off, I went home and read for a good long while in bed, waiting for Erik to get home.

Today it is miraculously beautiful out. I felt so good, full of spring, wearing a favorite tshirt. I went for a walk around campus and saw an adorable little garter snake swimming in the lake. It was great, until I caught sight of myself, some time after lunch, in the bathroom mirror. There are huge splashes of dried coffee stains all over the front of my shirt. I can't believe I didn't notice, and that no one said a thing. Oh well, I never claimed to be couth, suave, or graceful.

1 comment:

Susan Kelley said...

Feh. I'm increasingly convinced that one of my eyeballs could be hanging from its socket by the optic nerve and no one would say a thing. I'm not even sure most people would notice, so mentally asleep they are these days.

I've had much the same feelings as you about blogging lately. It's not that I'm not thinking about interesting things or that I'm afraid they won't be interesting to anyone else -- for the former, I am, and for the latter, I don't care -- but I'm so busy and generally short of the time to flesh things out that I don't want to blurt out a bunch of half-formed fragments about, say, the way an artificial language could economize on vocabulary by extending the English vernacular's tendency to convert parts of speech, e.g., a box is an object that contains things; to box or box up is to put something in a box; to box in is to metaphorically constrain something to a small space such as that found inside a box; to unbox is to remove something from a box; something that is boxy is more or less cube-like. There's no adverbial application of box in English, but there are other nouns that can be converted into adverbs, etc., etc., and "adverb" is a sort of grammatical catch-all category, while prepositions are almost entirely idiomatic and peculiar to a given language, e.g. in English you go to your house, but in German you go nach (after) your house; there is no particular reason why we box up instead of box around; and god help you if you try to translate an idiomatic expression like out of pocket into any other language, but I digress, though in digressing I think I've illustrated my point pretty damn well.


Posted by Eric On Thursday, April 05, 2007 at 10:00 PM