Wednesday, January 9, 2008

nobody has to know

Crunch of gravel, and ice-rain falling through the bamboo rakes zen lines through the path in front of my footsteps. Walking across the wooden bridge at night, pink snow-sky overhead, I'm chanting the words I don't want to forget, unable to see passing faces for the back-lit glow from glass buildings.

This morning, dark mirror image, I chanted "Jabba the Hutt" to myself over and over, to try to remember the dream from which I awoke.

This morning it didn't work, but this evening it did.

2 comments:

the omnicollective said...

Did Jabba help because he was in the dream or because he is just your memory aid?

Susan Kelley said...

I think he was in the dream, and then when I woke up I just knew that "Jabba" would be easier to remember than, say "countertop." Only, it didn't work. The way I remembered the thing I wanted to remember later in the day was to chant the whole thing out, over and over.