Tuesday, November 14, 2006

bag drama

I left work 15 minutes early yesterday to get to the surplus store before it closed at 6pm. All I needed was two triangle-shaped rings to sew onto the main body of my new bag, so that the snap hooks on the strap could attach and not slip around-- as they would with tri-glides, square ring loops, or D rings.


Traffic was really moving, even in the rain, so I got there with time to spare. Unfortunately, they had no triangle rings. They had thick, heavy, shiny chrome D rings in the right size for my nylon webbing. They had two thin, lighter, black metal D rings in a size too small. I bought both. I'd decide what to do once I had the bag in front of me.

Driving home I realized that I still had half an hour til the fabric store (probably) closed. It's a bit far, but driving right past my house, I went for it. I got there in time (they had even extended their hours) but of course they didn't have the triangle rings. Instead I got some shallow (ie, more slip-y for the snap hook) black plastic D rings in the right size. At least they'd match in material to the snap hooks and other bag hardware. I also got a pair of side release buckles, which would work if nothing else. They accomplish the same goal but are just bulkier than I wanted for a velvet-and-floral bag.

Yes, I am making a bag with blue velvet exterior and a floral interior. It even has pink. And lace. Don't worry, it's all reclaimed fabric, zippers, elastic, and laces from a skirt, pants, underwear, and some yard sale finds.

Anyhow, the main body of the bag is finished to a usable state, so I'm using it today. There are so many pockets and features that it took me several tries to configure all my stuff in it. I may have slightly over-thought this one (it took nearly a year from first idea til now). But it's so convertible and modular!

No comments: