Thursday, December 7, 2006

run for it

I organize a Wednesday night women's running group. It was started by Sara Sitter when she worked at Foot Traffic, a local running store, three or four years ago. It has passed through several hands and now been in my charge for a little more than a year.


In that time, group attendance has drastically declined. Two main reasons are that one previous organizer (from whom I inherited the group) had a baby, and the original organizer started working a job with late Wednesday night hours. I also weathered the final end of a long-dying friendship, during which lines were drawn and sides taken. I do have one or two friends who bridge the gap, with whom I run sometimes, who tell stories and mention the other group, not realizing that we are at odds.

Really, that I am at odds, since I'm the odd one out.

So for yesterday's run, I was very excited that five people responded that they would be running with me. Usually it's just me and one other person, although recently there have been two attendees.

By yesterday morning, two people had emailed me that they couldn't make it. Two other people emailed asking if there would be anyone else showing up, that if not they'd just run on their own. Since there were still three people attending, including the skeptics, I assured them that there were.

Driving to our meeting spot, two more called to tell me they couldn't make it. One had forgotten her running clothes, and one had a late, impromptu meeting.

Traffic was dense, and I made arrived four minutes late at Duniway Track, located next to the YMCA in southwest Portland. I walked around the track to warm up, waiting for one person.

I completed a speed workout, the simplest one I know. It felt good to be outside, working, in the cold black air. Exercising, putting my body through its paces, expending energy through the sheer force of my will.

It was good to have a night alone.

Much later, Erik and I went to the see And You Will Know Us By The Trail of The Dead play at the Crystal Ballroom. It wasn't very good. They took 50 minutes to set up, they do not have very good voices live, and the crowd was more into Blood Brothers, one of their opening bands. I truly do not enjoy time when Blood Brothers' music plays, which did not positively enhance my mood.

At any rate, we didn't go to bed til after 2am, which automatically qualifies as a good night!

1 comment:

Susan Kelley said...

Oh... this makes me sad... sorry I bailed the other night. New Year's Resolution is to Run Run Run! Whidbey Island is on the calendar.



Posted by Anna On Sunday, December 17, 2006 at 9:44 AM