Monday, November 5, 2007

the empire is melting like ice cream

This weekend was cut from a new pad of construction paper. The colors were fresh from the light of the low-slung sun, perhaps working harder than usual to cut through the atmosphere at such an angle.

Erik and I hiked to Latourell Falls, the Columbia River Gorge waterfall closest in to Portland. It was a beautiful little hike, full of Bigleaf Maple leaves littering the path, exposed Devil's Club branches, rickety bridges bridges over tiny streams, and enough glowing moss to satisfy even my moss-hungry heart.

Erik and I discussed the idea of "creating" every day, so I'm back to writing and kicking it out the door, as short and as cryptic as it may be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How odd. When the world -- or, more accurately, my world -- seems to be falling apart, I say to myself, "Decline and fall [of the empire]."

What I mean is pretty specific, though a long story for another time. Tonight's catastrophic failure of an external hard drive -- data! argh! -- is not part of the decline and fall. More often, it comes in gestures and the ends of conversations.